Post Delivery Rehab
Getting a musculoskeletal assessment should be a part of every woman’s post-birth plan!
It’s more than just looking “back to normal” on the outside! Very often the pelvic floor & abdominal muscles are still weak from pregnancy & birth, and it’s important to not only have your post-natal checkup for your baby, but also a check-up for your own body’s recovery!
Are you experiencing bladder leakage, a “heavy” feeling in your pelvic area, bowel issues, tenting or bulging in your lower abdomen, or lower back pain?
Get A Musculoskeletal Assessment!
So, what is this?
This is a general screening of the 5 most common musculoskeletal dysfunctions that women experience during the child-bearing year. This post delivery assessment will check:
- Your posture
- Pelvic floor function
- Abdominal Muscles / Diastasis
- Pelvic stability
These are rarely evaluated or diagnosed during your post-natal visits or during your OBGYN or midwife 6-week check-ups. This is why it’s so important to have a trusted physical therapist as a part of your health team!
This is why post-birth rehabilitation of the pelvic floor, back, and abdominal muscles, coupled with proper breathing, is so important!
After a comprehensive individualized evaluation, the physical therapists at Libre Physical Therapy will select modalities and procedures that will help you reduce your pain, improve your function, and assist you in achieving your goals.
Typical modalities and procedures include:
- Internal muscle assessment – vaginal or rectal
- Bladder or bowel diary
- Pelvic floor education
- Instruction/training of the pelvic floor muscles during lifting and exertion coupled with proper breathing
- Pelvic floor muscle re-education/strengthening/down training/endurance/timing using biofeedback
- Instruction in proper posture for fecal elimination
- Internal connective tissue manual techniques for scar tissue and hypertonic pelvic floor muscles
- Electrical stimulation for pelvic floor re-education and strengthening (as needed)
- Deep intrinsic trunk muscle synergy, coupled with coordinated breathing
Our specially trained therapists at Libre Physical Therapy will design an individualized program for you, which includes a detailed home exercise program that are geared towards your unique needs and health goals!